Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ice Cream (not the raw kind ...)

My coworker sent me an article with this video this morning - there's a little ad in the beginning but the video is short.  In case you don't have time to watch it, I'll give you the bottom line ... did you know that cheaper ice cream has an ingredient in it with a name you won't recognize and that ingredient actually comes from Beaver Anal Glands?


I think the moral of the story is that if you are going to eat ice cream make sure it's a high quality brand and read the ingredients.  If there's anything in it you don't recognize, then you might want to pass or consider making your own.   I've been buying a lot of appliances lately ... otherwise I'd be thinking of an ice cream machine to make raw cashew ice cream.  I've been seeing some amazing recipes lately and I'd love to try it.

I had cashew ice cream last summer at Pure Food and Wine in New York City.  OMG ... that was without a doubt the most amazing ice cream I have ever tasted and you would have never known it was vegan!!

On a related note, I really have to set my DVR to tape Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.  I don't watch much TV on ABC, but I have no idea how I missed this last season.  Hopefully it really will make a difference - it is sad to hear that today's kids are expected to live 10 years less than their parents because of the obesity epidemic.  

The video below is about 20 minutes but it is really fascinating.  It is Jamie Oliver speaking to accept his TED Prize.   His talk has some really fascinating information about our society's relationship to food - how much sugar the average school kid gets from cafeteria food in elementary school, kid's inability to recognize common vegetables ... and a whole lot more.  If you have some time to watch it, I think you'll find it insightful (although probably not as shocking as the whole ice cream thing ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment